House Cavaignac

BRIVE-LA-GAILLARDE

House Cavaignac rue du Docteur Massénat
19100 BRIVE-LA-GAILLARDE

Maison Cavaignac - OT de Brive_1

Monument from the Louis XIII period, which was the convent of the Poor Clares, then the Benedictines of Bonnesaigne, women's prison, bourgeois residence, minor seminary, congregational then secular school, currently the headquarters of the Archaeological Society of Corrèze. This hotel has two buildings at right angles joined by a tower in which a spiral staircase is located. The left wing has three semi-circular arches on the ground floor, vestiges of the Abbess' cloister, the dormer windows of the two roofs are topped with semi-circular pediments and decorated with balls. From 1882 to 1985 it was the seat of the Ernest Rupin Museum.

Useful information

  • Monument classification: Registered historic sites and monuments
  • Type of monument: Town, village and district
  • Visit conditions: Free visit. Guided tour by appointment only

House Cavaignac rue du Docteur Massénat
19100 BRIVE-LA-GAILLARDE